You’ve definitely heard that probiotics are beneficial for digestive health. But that isn’t all it can do. Did you know that they’re also beneficial for tooth and oral health? Here are some interesting facts regarding probiotics and how they might benefit your oral health.
What are probiotics, exactly?
Probiotics are live bacteria or microorganisms that can have multiple health benefits. It can be consumed directly or administered to the body to aid its potential nutrients. They are present in fermented foods, dietary supplements, and even cosmetics. Although bacteria and other microorganisms are commonly thought of as destructive “germs,” many of them are beneficial. Some bacteria aid in the digestion of food, the destruction of disease-causing cells, and the production of vitamins. Many of the bacteria found in probiotic products are the same as or comparable to those found in our bodies naturally.
Probiotics normally include the following:
- Lactobacillus, which aids in diarrhea relief and makes lactose digestion easier.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and other inflammatory digestive diseases benefit from Bifidobacterium.
- Saccharomyces boulardii, which aids in the treatment of diarrhea-causing intestinal problems.
Before going into the benefits of using probiotic toothpaste for oral care, let me give you some wonder facts probiotic has in store for our health. People take probiotics primarily to maintain a healthier intestine, but good bacteria can benefit your health in a variety of ways. Probiotics have been shown to aid in the treatment of:
- Eczema: one of the most common skin ailments.
- Mental well-being.
- Hypertension and high cholesterol
- Colds and allergies
- And finally oral cancer, bad breath, and gum inflammation. Continue reading to know more about its benefits for oral health.
Benefits of using probiotic toothpaste
- Prevents plaque formation: Plague is caused by some of the microorganisms that live in our mouth. Although, not to be confused all bacteria aren’t harmful, some are healthy too. Using probiotic toothpaste can prevent plague.
- Battles with bad breath: Bacteria in your mouth or intestines are frequently the source of bad breath. Probiotic products fight with these unwanted bacteria to keep your mouth fresh and prevent foul breath.
- It defends against oral cancer: Daily use of probiotic toothpaste can help prevent oral cancer.
- Treat gingivitis symptoms: Gum disease is another name for gingivitis. It might make your gums swollen and sore, as well as make your teeth sensitive. Probiotics can help lessen the symptoms of gingivitis.
- Reduce gum disease inflammation: Probiotic bacteria may help regulate gum disease inflammation. People who took supplements containing the bacterium. Consuming probiotic milk daily also helps to reduce mouth irritation.
Know the side effects & precautions before using probiotic toothpaste
Most people can safely take probiotics since these beneficial bacteria and yeasts are already present in their bodies. Probiotics promote health in the vast majority of cases with few to no side effects. However, there are some possible negative effects:
- Within the first few days of taking probiotics, you may experience stomach discomfort.
- Probiotic allergy sufferers may experience a more severe stomach reaction.
If your immune system is weaker or damaged, you should avoid taking probiotics because they may cause an infection. If you are extremely unwell or recovering from surgery, avoid taking probiotics. If you have a significant risk of infection owing to a condition like HIV, you should avoid taking them. Children, the elderly, and pregnant women should not take excessive doses of probiotics without first consulting their doctor.
Before using probiotics for oral health, it’s a good idea to talk to your dentist. Probiotic toothpaste kills bad bacteria while leaving good bacteria. However, probiotics are not a replacement for other good oral health behaviors such as brushing, flossing, eating a balanced diet, and getting your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year. Therefore, maintain your healthy habits while you use probiotic products.